Built circa 1870 for Captain Joseph M Scott, this house was in the path of Ohio Department of Transportations (ODOTs) widening of State Route 161 in Licking County. It had to be moved or be demolished.
Scott was a farmer and businessman prominent in the county, and though he never served political office outside the county, he was a regional force for abolition as early as 1849 and his family was heavily involved in the Underground Railroad.
This Victorian era home was built in the Italianate style. Italianate homes, libraries and town halls were built throughout the United States 1840-1885, and were most popular in the late 1860s. The characteristics of this house that are most typical of the Italianate style are the low-pitched roof, tall appearance (tall ceilings), symmetrical layout, wide overhanging eaves with brackets, tall narrow windows, side bays, and heavily molded double doors.
The Captain Scott house is unusual in that it includes two 2-storey side bays and has an overall cruciform shape. The front double doors have classic heavy molding and open to a foyer with spiral staircase. The back wing with the lower roofline contains the kitchen and workspace downstairs, and includes a back staircase to servants quarters upstairs.
Who was Captain Joseph M. Scott?
"In sentiment, a Congregationalist, a lifelong enemy of American slavery, the liquor traffic and the lodge."
Captain Scott Fast Facts
- Born Jan 9, 1830 in Utica, Ohio, died Dec 16, 1919 in
- Buried at Maple Grove Cemetery, Alexandria
- Devout Christian who was active in area churches,
particularly Harrison Chapel Wesleyan Methodist
- Prominent farmer who owned 425 acres and found success
raising sheep for wool
- Married Emily M Eastman in 1851, children:
Fannie, Carrie, Hale, Walter, Helen
- Active in the Anti Slavery Movement in St.
Albans township, and member of the Free-Soil Party
- Enlisted in Union Army Oct 1861
- Raised Company B of 76th Ohio Volunteer Infantry ("Licking
- Led his troops in action at Fort Donaldson, Shiloh, the
Siege of Corinth, and the Battle of Milliken's Bend near Vicksburg
- Speaker at the first Community Memorial Day
Service (Decoration Day) 1869
- Wrote "Our Early Times - Historical Sketch of St. Albans
Township" in 1873
- President of the Board of Education when 4 room Alexandria
High School was built in 1890
- Served as St. Albans Township Justice of the Peace
"Captain Joseph M. Scott is one of Licking County's sons whose record reflects credit upon the community in that he has always been a fearless defender of what he believes to be right. For a half century he was closely associated with agricultural interests and in all of his business dealings was straightforward and reliable."